Signature length

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

How many lines should signatures be limited to?

Five
28%
Six
39%
Seven
17%
Eight
No votes
Nine
17%

Total votes: 18

Signature length

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:14 pm

BlackDove
...choose.

Six used to be the formal choice back at SSC, and I thought that was the acceptable line.

That's my vote.

If you want it above or below the options I gave in the poll, you'll have to post.

Poll runs for two weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:31 pm

M.Steiner
Voted for 6, seems reasonable enough to me. :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:14 am

Anubis
Site Admin
I vote for 6 too, it is indeed a reasonable choice.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:19 am

Serberus
Yep six here as well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:33 am

BlueFlames
Three.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:42 am

SSX-Ava
i voted 6 aswell ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:57 am

Inquisitor
Not sure this is something that we needed to codify, was someone abusing it?

For instance, mine seems to be longer than 6, is that a problem? I believe it imparts useful, re-usable information for at least 2/3rds of it, and my particular passion for the remaining third, without being "in the way." I believe the additional spaces make it human readable.

Did I miss a discussion/argument somewhere?
No signature

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:41 am

BlackDove
Yeah, it's annoying if it's long, and we always used to have this codified.

It gets ridiculous when it's 10 normal lines.

Now, since I'm not going to be doing this on a person to person basis (which would be wrong in and of itself), I'd like a general rule that all should follow. It shouldn't be much to ask for.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:37 pm

Inquisitor
So is mine annoying? Or are tehre others I missed?

We don't have that many people, I don't see a need for a "rule" yet.

I actually don;t mind doing some things "person by person" it lets us at least say hi to people ;)
No signature

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:44 pm

BlackDove
Yours is just about borderline as far as I'm concerned.

Normal lines are different from small text.

And the reason I don't want to do it on a person to person basis, is because two people can have big sigs, maybe only a line inbetween them, one annoying the other not.

How do you explain that to the person you're removing the signature for?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:55 pm

Inquisitor
"That's annoying, stop that please"

Their reaction, frankly, should be an indicator of their suitability to continue hanging around ;)
No signature

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:16 pm

BlackDove
Maybe, but it wouldn't be fair.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:34 pm

Inquisitor
That's silly.

I see no reason to codify this at this time, I don;t want to rest on our laurels because we have some rules governing behavior on these forums. The fewer rules, the better.

I am all for guidelines and then self policing, but a "rule" then creates rules zealots, and accusations of breaking the rules.

I would much prefer a rule to state something like:

"Your sig should be short, and non-invasive. We trust you to use your judegment otherwise. Don't abuse that trust. We're here to communicate, not to read long sigs. If you have a question about what is considered invasive, ask a mod or the current arbiter. If you don't feel comfortable asking them, you're in the wrong place to begin with."

That would, frankly, cover the whole sig pic issue as well.
No signature

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:45 pm

Serberus
Personaly...i think you guys are taking it a little seriously i think that we should set rules yes. Some issues however are not easily resolved as is proved in most polls we have. Personaly i dont really care and in truth i dont think many people really care.

However i will say this. That if it does become rediculous then we can talk to the person and ask them to make it smaller. I do not think this is something we need to make a permanent rule of.

I sort of agree with the statement of Ed. However what one person finds invasive or whatever is not what others think of. This is something prehaps that we should deal with as it comes up...however prehaps the 6 should be used more as a guidline and not a rule. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:46 pm

BlackDove
Inquisitor wrote:That's silly.

I see no reason to codify this at this time, I don;t want to rest on our laurels because we have some rules governing behavior on these forums. The fewer rules, the better.

I am all for guidelines and then self policing, but a "rule" then creates rules zealots, and accusations of breaking the rules.

I would much prefer a rule to state something like:

"Your sig should be short, and non-invasive. We trust you to use your judegment otherwise. Don't abuse that trust. We're here to communicate, not to read long sigs. If you have a question about what is considered invasive, ask a mod or the current arbiter. If you don't feel comfortable asking them, you're in the wrong place to begin with."

That would, frankly, cover the whole sig pic issue as well.
Guideline or a rule - I don't care particulary. As long as it's a definite line length that is agreed upon by the membership.

I'd rather cut out the whole communication buisness and just have people know outright what is acceptable by the norm.

Loose is nice, but too lose is a haggle, one which is not necessary in this case.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:18 pm

Inquisitor
These forums are about communicating. When something gets in the way of communicating, then it's a problem.

I think I would prefer a poll that asks "Do we need a rule for this?" rather than "What should the rule be?"

Fair?
No signature

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:35 pm

BlackDove
Sure.

Would you like to remove the nine votes so far or shall we just keep going?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:40 pm

Inquisitor
Whatever makes the least amount of noise ;)
No signature

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:44 pm

BlackDove
Might want to split the last 13 posts then. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:00 pm

BlueFlames
I've always shoe-horned my signature into three lines, regardless of how much stuff I want to put in it. I've also gotten into the habit of not attaching my signature unless my post is a fair deal longer than my signature, since it really is silly to have three lines of signature attached to a one-liner post.

On that note, I wonder if we could find/make a forum hack that would somewhat eliminate the need for maximum signature lengths altogether. I'm thinking something that would remove someone's signature if it was longer than the post it's attached to. That would make it so that ridiculously long signatures will only appear on reasonably large posts, thus ensuring (to some degree, anyway) that the majority of the screen space in any post is actually being used for the post.

By the way, it'd be pretty easy to tone your signature down from nine lines to three, Quiz.

Code it as...

Code: Select all

[size=9]Play [url=http://www.garagegames.com/lore]Lore[/url]!
[url=http://scp.indiegames.us]FS2 Source Code Project[/url] Facilitator
Administrator, [url=http://www.planetdescent.com]PlanetDescent.com[/url][/size]
Which gives you (sans the quote block, of course)...
Play Lore!
FS2 Source Code Project Facilitator
Administrator, PlanetDescent.com
As for you, BD, you could use slashes (assuming that's a poem or song lyric) and skip some of the gratuitous line-breaks. :P

Anyway, my vote's still for three lines.
Shattered Star Exiles: A schism. A bond. A squad.
"I don't know what's more twisted: blowing up ambulances or setting it to Huey Lewis." --Inquisitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:06 pm

Inquisitor
Smart ass ;)
No signature

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:37 pm

BlackDove
BlueFlames wrote:As for you, BD, you could use slashes (assuming that's a poem or song lyric) and skip some of the gratuitous line-breaks.
Oh I could, but I voted for six. ;D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:33 am

Padishar
As long as it isn't an eye sore or massively HUGE (same thing heh), doesn't really matter to me. Should we have a poll on even bothering with this? :lol:

If we need more structure in our lives then I will go 7, just to step up from where we once was (if only a lil ;D ).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:04 am

esd
Inquisitor wrote:I think I would prefer a poll that asks "Do we need a rule for this?" rather than "What should the rule be?"
Agreed. Someone should start one, then we should think about looking at this one once we've decided if we even want a rule.
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:11 am

Futile Resistance
Voted for 7 lines. Same reason as Pad. ;D

Return to “Members”