2013 Arbiter Vote

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Arbiter Election 2013-2014

Poll ended at Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:05 am

Messiah
No votes
MS
20%
SL33PY
50%
Anubis
30%

Total votes: 10

2013 Arbiter Vote

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:05 am

Messiah
It is time to cast your vote for arbiter. You can find their nomination speeches here.

This vote will run for one week.

Good luck all.
"All I was trying to do was get people to want to make their own new ring of light so that it is forever a name with meaning and substance ...." - BlackDove the Beneficent

Re: 2013 Arbiter Vote

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:40 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I'm going to make this an announcement in Members, because Global Announcement's don't "mark as unread" against any specific forum, so less people may see it (hope that's ok).

Maybe we could make a global announcement to announce the announcement? Haha :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:37 am

SL33PY
Where are all the other guys? I saw that last year we had 17 voters?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:32 pm

M.Steiner
Still 4 more days I guess but unless things change considerably between now and next tuesday this will have been the lowest turnout we've ever had.
The 17 votes for last years Arbiter poll aside, I'd like to ask where the 24 are that voted in the exiles name changing thread during that same time period last year, which were literally just days apart from one another? There were more people that voted against that proposal than what have voted here so far, IRC even has more people than this, when it isn't pissing around for 3 days and actually lets people connect that is.. Infact the same thing happened the first time we had the name discussion looking back at the results.
I won't go on a rant but this just goes back to that post I made again. C'mon folk :thumb:

Arbiter poll 2009: 18 voters
Name change poll 2009: 30 voters

Arbiter poll 2010: 18 voters
Arbiter poll 2011: 15 voters

Name change poll 2012: 24 voters
Arbiter poll 2012: 17 voters

Arbiter poll 2013: ^

Do people just not care for the position any more and don't feel like voting? or think it should be changed? Perhaps it's time we had a serious discussion on it once this years poll has ended so the same doesn't happen again next year?. I know for a fact that if I went ahead and had us revisit the naming poll again after last years split vote we'd have people coming out again in much bigger numbers than this. So what's with the arbiter election?
Better to speak up and explain why you're not voting than to just not bother doing either. Nothing can be done or changed if nobody actually says anything :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:45 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I will share this on our FB account later when I get some time, to hopefully draw those eyes who don't check the forum so much ;)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:01 pm

M.Steiner
I don't (and never will) use Facebook as you know so if a day ever comes, God forbid, that this place fully transitions to somewhere like that it will probably be the day I leave. But just out of curiosity, what are the activity levels like on our SSX FB page in comparison to the forums, Anny? Don't care about peoples general Fb activity outside of this place or between each other on their own pages or whatever, just SSX stuff on our own little space over there. Have more people started participating on SSX Fb rather than the forum or do we have people who check there but not here anymore?. On average how many posts/comments per day/week would you say?. Or are you Fb users having the same problems there than we are here?. Just interested.

I admittedly don't know the answers to the above with not using it myself but I honestly don't think social media is to blame for forum activity as what might have been suggested previously. I still browse several forums each day, one of which moves at such a fast pace that it's hard to keep up with new posts without refreshing all the time. The site even gets overloaded and crashes during events like E3 due to it being so active. It's primarily a gaming community but even their off-topic threads for Breaking Bad reached over 300 pages these last 8 weeks, and a 100+ one just for the finale episode alone. I was even following a thread on another forum for the GTA easter eggs which moved at a similar rate and reached well over 200 pages before it was closed and spawned several others like it. Social media sites like Facebook, Twitter and going back to stuff like Myspace etc too have going for quite some time now but none of them have had a negative impact on any of the other forums I read. Forums across the net are still used just as much despite FB etc I would say, these that I lurk on are just as active as they always have been.
I also don't think people getting older, having families and having less time in general is totally to blame either. Yes for some but not all. As I pointed out on IRC when you posted that in the other thread, we've had members before who have been older than the pair of us, one of which I gave an example of off the top of my head who had a wife, kids and a job but also managed to be one of our most active members back in the day. Sl33py does as well but he's one of the most active people here.

Looking again at the poll results I listed above. 30 people voted on the naming thread in 2009 but only 18 for the Arbiter election that same year, and the same happened in 2012 too. 2 polls within the space of days, 24 people came out to vote on the name but just 17 for the Arbiter poll. We should be asking ourselves why this is. The only conclusion I come to is that the latter means less to some people now or they just don't care enough to vote but the name (or the want for changing it) is still important enough for people to take the time to come and vote and have their say on the matter. If that is the case and the reason why 24 people voted to keep or change the name this time last year but only 8 of them have come and voted here this week for the Arbiter election then maybe it's time we had a discussion on that later. Cos as I say, whilst I still think it's too soon to do so if I put another naming thread back up to try and get a clearer result which was much less split than before we all know it would have a greater turnout. And seriously, how long does it take to vote?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:06 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Activity isn't high, but that's possibly because it isn't used much promotionally or to generate discussions. It's a channel, but not really one we try to exploit - so there's "potential" but nothing more.

I think Mess was right in the other thread though that perhaps we should have this discussion separately, later on lest it end up dominating the vote itself. I could talk a lot about this topic, but not right now.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:48 pm

M.Steiner
Fair enough

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:00 pm

M.Steiner
Let me be the first to congratulate you then, SL33PY!, and to thank Messiah for his job this last year too. Much appreciated.

Now that the vote has ended I'll just say that I'm quite disappointed by the turnout this year. We hold the elections around the same time every year and have done ever since this place was founded. This years hardly came as a surprise and most people should know when to expect them by now anyway. But it takes virtually no time at all to click a few buttons and vote, plenty of time was given to nominations before hand too if there was someone else people wanted to see up for the job and notices were put up across the website, IRC & Facebook to let people know they were ongoing too just incase some weren't aware. The result? less than half the people who voted regarding our name last Oct came and voted for this. Why? I don't know because nobody has said a word which makes it all the sad.

Just disappointed as I say and it doesn't help that none of our non-voters have actually said anything so we as a community can work out what should be done or changed regarding the process. Do people not like the Arbiter election system we have? think part of it should be changed somehow?, don't think we should have an Arbiter at all any more?. What exactly?. I'm not specifically making an issue with the not voting itself just to be clear, as everyone will have their own reasons for that and that is ones choice but how are we as a group supposed to do anything about it if nobody actually says anything?. We can't can we? and by not doing or saying anything at all is just a waste of everyone else's time :) - So 1. Why did you choose not to nominate and/or vote this year? and 2. In light of that, what do you suggest we do next year?

I certainly don't enjoy complaining and I'm sorry for doing so but I also don't like to just sit and say nothing. I have however said everything I want to on the subject so I will leave it at that. If the rest of you later start a discussion on the election turnout this year and discuss what to do (if anything) regarding future ones, feel free to move some of my posts over to a new thread if you wish. That is ofc if people start to come forward and share their thoughts as to why they decided not to. I see no point in trying to have a discussion based around guess work otherwise, since we'll just go around in circles and get no where. My assumption as to why some people haven't nominated, voted or openly expressed why they haven't done either is just that, an assumption. Sorry again for the moaning but I've only ever wanted the best for this place and the people here and that's the only reason why I post like this rather than sitting back and keeping quiet. Doing that changes nothing and gets us no where. Clearly something is up when 24 people vote on keeping or changing our name but only 10 come and vote for the Arbiter and only a handful nominate, but we can only start to figure that stuff out and know what the best course of action is if people actually speak up. Nobody has yet.

Anyway, to those of you who did participate in this years election process, and in advance to anyone who didn't and comes forward later to explain why, thank you.

Good luck, SL33PY! :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:08 am

SL33PY
Thank you guys for the trust put in me, I'm not expecting a lot of trouble in the year ahead. I will try to log on to IRC a bit more. Maybe we can have a healthy discussion about a lot of issues that both MS and myself already mentioned.

In light of my 'victory' I would like to invite anyone and everyone to come to me with their grievances, issues and suggested solutions. Hopefully we can get everyone a bit more engaged by the end of next year.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:03 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Congrats Sl33py! I am sure you'll do a fantastic job :)

And indeed, many thanks to Mess for the last year too!

Return to “Members”