Star Wars: The Old Republic

For the glory of the Sith Empire! Death to the Republic!

Moderators: Global Moderators, TOR Moderators

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:44 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I won't be pre-ordering at the very least until they release payment information, and likely even later than that. I don't really like pre-ordering years in advance - I'd rather just do it nearer the time.

If that means I don't get in for launch, it'll be a shame but so be it - I'll just get in later. Doesn't stop me participating in the guild forum :) Not about to jump in without all the information I want, regardless of whether it can be cancelled or not.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:50 pm

Scorpius
Well I've preordered my copy of the collectors edition and redeemed my key. Had to go to a game store however. If you preorder from Game via the web you have to wait till next Thursday before you get your preorder key.
Power Corrupts, Ultimate Power is Fun.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:17 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:I won't be pre-ordering at the very least until they release payment information, and likely even later than that. I don't really like pre-ordering years in advance - I'd rather just do it nearer the time.
If that means I don't get in for launch, it'll be a shame but so be it - I'll just get in later. Doesn't stop me participating in the guild forum :) Not about to jump in without all the information I want, regardless of whether it can be cancelled or not.
Just figured I'd post the warning anyway. Some people couldn't get hold of WoW copies nearer to release (and shortly after too) not for lack of trying, simply because shops couldn't meet the demand. You couldn't buy it over here at all at one point. Not saying TOR's launch will be as huge but Blizz weren't even trying to limit supplies like BioWare/EA are doing with TOR just to keep the launch numbers down.
Tis up to you at the end of the day mate but it seems a bit risky. I just don't really see what the issue is when you'll secure yourself a copy yet not pay any sooner than you normally would and still have the option to cancel whenever you want, say if their subs are too expensive for you. If they were asking you to pay in full upfront, pay a deposit or your order be permanent and unable to cancel I could see where you were coming from but it's the complete opposite....we're talking less than 6 months here too not years in advance.
Will keep my fingers crossed for you but you should just bite the bullet and get it over with. What have you got to lose? :p. Seems like a no brainer to me but whatever, we've had these discussions before on pre-orders so I'll shut up lol :)

Update: GAME's online store have now sold out of the collector's editions, infact it's disappeared from the site now completely. They were the only UK shop stocking them.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:10 pm

M.Steiner
Stephen Reid has confirmed that the sooner we redeem our pre-order codes the earlier we'll get to play. The order in which they're giving people early access is decided by when we redeemed. So those who entered their code on the same day the pre-orders went up will be the first people getting early access.
They *did* have the idea of having the early access based on which edition of the game you buy but they got rid of that idea and it's now purely based on how soon you redeem your code. This would be fine if all retailers gave the codes WHEN you ordered...

Still worried at this since GAME aren't sending codes until thursday unless you bought in store, and they've now sold out of the collectors editions anyway. Just hope that the week gap in waiting for our codes from GAME won't put us people too far down the line as If it wasn't for their slowness I would have been in wave1 for sure. Not just because of that but I don't want my characters level being too far behind everyone else too, hopefully it'll only be by a day or two. Oh well. I'm happy to have grabbed a CE whilst they were still on the site anyway. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:42 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
The thing is, as we just discussed on IRC, I'm not so sure you WILL be able to cancel. Since they're sending out early access codes which can be activated at any time, you're basically using part of your purchase as soon as you activate them. And I don't see any way that Bioware would be able to keep track of which codes relate to a cancelled copy.

I have a feeling that cancellations won't be accepted. We'll see though. Regardless, I still won't be preordering until I'm satisfied I know everything I want to know. I honestly do not mind if that means I have a few weeks delay in getting in. Happy to wait, so that I'm happier in the here and now :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:00 pm

M.Steiner
Yeah I really should have considered that too, don't know why I didn't.
Don't take my previous 2 posts on pre-orders as fact guys. It is true that you can cancel a normal pre-order with Amazon or GAME anytime you want and still not pay a penny but since codes are being sent well before release this may not be the case with all TOR pre-orders. Someone on the TOR forums says they cancelled an Amazon order for the standard edition after reciving and entering their code to go and order a CE instead and they did that without any problems but amazon may put a stop to that. As far as Gamestop in the US goes they apparently include the following line "Please note that once you receive this email, you will be unable to cancel your order." in the email they send you which includes your pre-order code.
I didn't think of this when I was recommending pre-ordering whilst still having the option to cancel later and as I haven't received mine yet I don't know whether GAME will be the same. If the email I get next week says the same I'll update.
Ignore my previous posts on preordering basically and keep the above in mind, best to read up on which retailer you're going with first just to be on the safe side :o :thumb:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:47 pm

Scorpius
I cancelled my online preorder CE with no problems but then they're not sending the codes out till Thursday. I then went into the Game in Brum and preordered the CE (Last one) and got a key there and then.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:45 pm

Zephir
They must have some way to track the preorder codes

According to Amazon

"Pre-Order Star Wars: The Old Republic and get early game access and a color stone to change your weapon effect. A one-time use code for early game access and color stone will be sent to you via email after you have completed your purchase. Limit one code per customer. Codes tied to canceled orders will be deactivated. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com, while supplies last."

Oh yeah, I ordered two copies of the Digital Deluxe Edition for myself and my wife :D

My son wants a copy too but his computer won't run it, so I guess he'll have to see if Santa thinks he has been a good boy this year :lol:
"You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese." - Spaced (1999)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:03 pm

M.Steiner
GAME sent us our pre-order codes today instead of thursday so Ava & I have both redeemed too!
Dear Customer,
Thank you for preordering Star Wars: The Old Republic Collectors Edition from GAME.co.uk.

Your early access code is: [-----]
To get your early access to The Old Republic please follow these instructions:

1. Go to http://www.swtor.com/preorder/code
2. Click "Register your preorder"
(You will be prompted to log in or create a Star Wars: The Old Republic account)
3. Enter and Confirm your preorder code
4. Complete Registration
5. You will be notified by email of your early access time at a later date.

For Support, please visit http://www.swtor.com/support
We hope you enjoy your early access. Thanks again for preordering from GAME.co.uk

The GAME
Customer Service Team
That's pretty much it. As you can see the email makes no mention of us not being able to cancel our orders now like Gamestop do and the cancel button is still there on my order page too. Seems like we still can if we wanted but I'm not going to press it just to see :p
Hopefully our early access time won't start much later than those of you who have already redeemed. Thinking of character names too...

I can't wait :D
Zephir wrote:Oh yeah, I ordered two copies of the Digital Deluxe Edition for myself and my wife :D
My son wants a copy too but his computer won't run it, so I guess he'll have to see if Santa thinks he has been a good boy this year :lol:
hehe. Hey Zeph, are you and your wife "Shadzeh" and "Maxiange" of our Sith guild by any chance?. Or is one of those 2 people you, Scorp?. Just trying to match everyone up who has joined, two names I don't recognise is all :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:39 pm

Zephir
SSX-MS wrote:he. Hey Zeph, are you and your wife "Shadzeh" and "Maxiange" of our Sith guild by any chance?. Or is one of those 2 people you, Scorp?. Just trying to match everyone up who has joined, two names I don't recognise is all :thumb:
Not me, although I did apply to the guild yesterday.
"You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese." - Spaced (1999)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:30 pm

Scorpius
I'm insulted you'd think that I would come up with names like that. ;D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:54 pm

M.Steiner
:lol:

I came across this today. I don't know how accurate it is but it sounds like it could be legit. Will treat it as speculation for now until we get some kind of confirmation though.

Operations:
Can be either 8 or 16 players
Adjustable difficulty level = Better loot the harder the setting
Every member of the group gets a bag of rewards for downing a boss (which could include class specific items or badges which can be used to buy items with for example).

Sounds great to me if true. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:31 pm

Scorpius
Yeah should put the loot arguements to a minimum. Also no doing a raid for x amounts of time without seeing anything you can use drop. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:44 pm

Ash
MS, some sort of confirmation on your link.

Darth Hater wrote up/ reported the interview also.

http://darthhater.com/2011/07/28/gamest ... perations/

:thumb:
Ash
The quiet one in the corner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:24 pm

M.Steiner
Ahh. Nice find, Ash ;)
Gamestar have a video preview here too. Has some game footage I don't think I've seen before but it IS in german heh.

Also:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=401511
Discussing The Eternity Vault

'Gabe Amatengelo: Players drop onto the surface via pods to attempt to gain entry, first facing the automated defences, then giant droids before transitioning indoors.'

Gabe then describes the encounters by evoking memories of the original trilogy.

'There's a certain point where you've got to get your back up against the wall, while your group tries to solve a code to get a door open to progress futher. Its loosely inspired by the Battle of Endor scene where the rebels are trying to gain entry to the base.'

Later, players are asked to win duels while being watched by their teammates.

''At one point, you'll be facing the entourage of one of the uber-Force wielders [Bioware are keen to avoid saying who this is]. Everyone in the group has to pick one to fight. You have this Luke/Vader type moment where it's a one-on-one boss fight but everyone is in audience.''

Also in the article.

Confirmed, the items that dont drop for you (or dont appear in your loot bag) from boss kills can all be bought from the commendation vendor.

Confirmed (if not already) that to access new flashpoints you have to clear beginner ones.

Confirmed (if not already) there will be no pre raid armour grind. You will enter low-level raids in the armour you finished your storey in.

Confirmed (if not already) Loot bags can contain upgrades for weapons and armour.

Confirmed TORs landscapes have had a graphical overhaul. - Writer.
Go Bioware!. This sounds <censored> sweet :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:27 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I read today that the beta weekends have been cancelled until further notice, after only just starting them. Hmmm, hoping that doesn't mean they got a ton of negative feedback... :blank:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:17 am

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:hoping that doesn't mean they got a ton of negative feedback... :blank:
Nah I doubt it.
Some people were probably expecting BioWare to run them every single weekend from when they started I bet, but I didn't really expect that tbh. Not from the start at least. Gotta leave the devs enough time inbetween to read through the feedback, implement any changes, internally test and put new patches/client builds out for the next lot. They'll also have the daily feedback from their existing closed beta game testers to take note from the other servers too. That's what I'd take from it anyway so I don't think we should worry about it. To me the first post below sounds very positive :)
SR : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=479405 wrote:How did it go?

On balance, extremely well. Every goal we had was met or exceeded, and we had no major downtime. This is good news for us, as now we can move forward in future Testing Weekends and increase the overall number of invites.

There were hitches, as you may know. We had an issue introduced into our invite process that caused a number of people to become 'stuck' in a specific database state. That was fixed by our web team as fast as possible, and while that delayed the initial download for some, we got as many as we could into the game. We are thoroughly testing that process to ensure it doesn't happen again - it was in fact the very first time we've had invite issues since Game Testing began.

Here are a few random quotes from four different testers within their Forums:

“I absolutely had fun. I found myself still finding enemies and attacking long after I had fulfilled the requirements of the mission simply because it was fun to just blast my enemies. You guys honestly put my jaw on the floor with the amazing world you built... and the look of everything. Video's had me skeptical but being in game washed away any doubts I had. I think you guys have nailed Star Wars for what it is..a galaxy far far away and a long time ago..enough said.”

"I really can't wait to see how the story unfolds. In most MMOs I play, I pick up the quest without even reading it but with these quests I am listening to the amazing voice acting and building my own story."

"Words alone can’t express how epic the voiceover is. Normally I end up making fun of the voiceovers in other games but this one caught me off guard. In addition, the in-game music and ambient sounds was also amazing. I didn’t feel overwhelmed with the background/ambient sound and the in-game music matched the current situation very well. Like I said before, overall this is and will be an amazing game. I just purchased the Collector’s Edition."

"Overall, I would say I had a lot of fun. In addition to the quests and PvP, I would sometimes stop and just look around at the planet or station I’m on. The amount of detail that was put into the environment was incredible. Well done."

What's next?

We're rolling out a major new build for The Old Republic very soon, and we're waiting until that build is fully tested and ready to go before we invite people to another Beta Testing Weekend. We're still hopeful that will happen in September, but we have no guarantees.
SR : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8927958#edit8927958 wrote:Hello all,

There is no Beta Testing Weekend scheduled for this weekend. There may be further Beta Testing Weekends during September, but we're not going to guarantee it. The weekend that just finished was really our first dry run of Beta Testing Weekends as a whole, and we have plenty of data to crunch, and decisions to make before we start things up again.

Further to that, as Chris Collins explained in another thread, we are about to roll out a major new build for The Old Republic. That build won't be ready for this weekend. Just as we did not feel it was a good decision to ask potential EU testers to download our client only to have to download it again, the same applies for this weekend.

That does not mean, however, that as soon as our new build is available we'll be rolling out a Beta Testing Weekend immediately. As with any new build of the game, we need to get feedback from internal testing and our ongoing Game Testing program before rolling it out to a massive audience. That process takes a while, and that time varies depending on how testing goes.

We rolled out this previous weekend as a relatively small scale event; from now we will do bigger and bigger events, but that doesn't mean it happens every weekend. When we do resume, we'll be inviting many more people in.

While many of you are excited and anxious to know what's happening regarding Testing Weekends, I want to point out that a lot of posts on the subject with a lack of corresponding posts from us does not mean that we're not listening, or not aware of your interest. It shows your interest in the topic, which is understandably high, but we will not always be able to react instantaneously.

In the past couple of days we've been preparing a comprehensive FAQ regarding Game Testing Weekends as a whole, along with some details about the weekend that just happened. We'll post that tomorrow - in all languages, as we know the subject is of interest to everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:11 am

Scorpius
Cut a long story short if your in the UK/EU your still not getting into Beta. I'm at the point now I'd consider myself blessed if we get a same month launch as the Americans. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:18 pm

Zephir
The server was taken down at 12:01am this morning for roll out of the new build.

The whole EU beta thing is funny, there are EU players and guilds already on the US test server. The EU specific testing is for the game client with localisation and for the EU server infrastructure being hosted in Ireland, which aren't available for testing yet. Well the new client build being rolled out does actually include the language localisation, so I'm sure EU specific testing isn't too far off now.

The whole nerd rage thing over the weekend testing was hilarious and spiraled completly out of control with the news of the new software build, which we already knew about. However, such is the nature of forums that people thought that 1 + 1 = 9999999999999 and took the new client build and no weekend beta to mean major disaster, serious client problems, release delays.

All I can say without breaking the NDA is the game is pretty awesome!!!! and I'm sad my current toon was wiped last night because I'd become quite attached to him thanks to the personal story lines :(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:09 pm

M.Steiner
A longterm tester too eh? Lucky so and so! ;)
I was invited to the testing program last year though it was a different kinda session. NDA is still in place though so other than being allowed to say you're a tester or have been at some point there's not much else one can say unless you were at one of the public demo's. That being said the fact that I have already pre-ordered a collector's edition when I haven't subscribed to an MMO in 3 years should say enough about the little experience I had. Sure having so many of us here show interest in it has played a big part too and without I doubt I would have started looking into the game at all but I'm really excited for its release now. Can't wait to get stuck in with you guys, it better still release this year :p

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:21 pm

Zephir
I totally agree MS I'm a pretty jaded MMO player these days, and certainty never thought I'd ever preorder an MMO. The fact that I ordered copies for both myself and my wife while being a long term closed beta participant speaks to the quality and fun factor of swtor.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:30 pm

Scorpius
Ahh the nerd rage on the forums, everynow and then I throw a stick on the bonfire. :D
Hey I've got to get my jollies somewhere whilst waiting on release. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:40 pm

Ash
Anyone heard anything about the subscription approach for TOR?

Also MS got anything else through with regards Guild timelines?

:thumb:
Ash
The quiet one in the corner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:49 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Ash wrote:Anyone heard anything about the subscription approach for TOR?
Not yet. I'm keeping an eye out though, because I'm holding off on pre-ordering until information regarding payment and subscriptions is made clear.

Hoping they do it soon, since they're meant to be announcing the release date this month...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:38 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
BioWare just announced the launch date at the EG Expo - December 20th in the US, and December 22nd everywhere else. Official Press Release can be found here: http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110924

Good news at last, though I'm surprised they're launching so close to Christmas. A lot of people will assumedly have the holiday off, and there could potentially be server issues from such a major launch. I guess they know what they are doing though :) Hopefully payment details will come soon now that we have the date!

We'll sort out a group forum in the next week or so, so that we can begin sorting out those issues that we need to sort out before launch. It's probably a little early considering the date, but it won't hurt. There are just a few administrative things ongoing that I'd like to finish off before we start throwing up the forum etc - so watch this space :)

Return to “Star Wars: The Old Republic”