Shameless Abuse of Power

Roll the dice! Formerly the D&D Forum.

Moderators: Global Moderators, D&D Moderators

Shameless Abuse of Power

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:37 pm

BlueFlames
Hmmm.... I mentioned some D&D stuff in a General Discussion thread.... I do so wish that there was still a D&D forum for me to post it in. Oh, wait! I'm still a moderator of the archived D&D forum! Thread necromancy be damned! I'm dabbling in some epic level forum necromancy, now! :D

In any case, inspired by Planescape - Torment, I homebrewed up a 3.5e version of the Mechanus Cannon spell and filled out a set of items, based around the description given for Mempa's Biting Ring.
Lesser Mechanus Cannon
Conjuration (Teleportation, Lawful)
Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: 25 feet and Short (25ft. + 5ft./2 lvls.) (see text)
Effect: Portal (see text)
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex none, then Fortitude half (object) (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes

You signal the natives of Mechanus to fire an ancillary gun in the legendary Mechanus Battery. This heavy piece of artillery opens a portal, through which a powerful beam of energy is fired.

Upon casting this spell, a portal opens at a point you designate, within twenty-five feet. A line of energy then fires toward a target, within short range of the portal. The first creature or object hit by this beam is subject to its effects. The line terminates in that creature or object's space.

Nonlawful creatures may make a reflex save to avoid all effects of the beam. Failing that, they take 1d6 points of damage, per caster level (20d6 maximum). A successful fortitude save halves the damage. If a creature is reduced to zero or fewer hitpoints, it is reduced to a pile of ash. Its items are unaffected.

Chaotic creatures are lulled into a false sense of security by the amount of time the portal remains open, prior to the beam actually firing. This denies them their reflex save, though they are still granted a fortitude save to halve the damage.

Nonaligned objects hit by Lesser Mechanus Cannon have a five-foot wide, cylindrical hole bored through them, to a depth of six inches per level (maximum ten feet). Anarchic items are bored through twice as deep.

Lawful creatures and axiomatic items are utterly unaffected by this spell.

Focus: An iron cog, with a hole through the center.

Mechanus Cannon
Sor/Wiz 6
Range: 50 feet and Medium (100ft. + 10ft./lvl.) (see text)
Effect: Portal (see text)
Saving Throw: Reflex none, then Fortitude partial (see text)

You signal the natives of Mechanus to fire a single shot from the legendary Mechanus Battery. This heavy piece of artillery opens a portal, through which a powerful beam of energy is fired.

Upon casting this spell, a portal opens at a point you designate, within fifty feet. A line of energy then fires toward a target, within medium range of the portal. The first two creatures or objects hit by this beam are subject to its effects. The line terminates in the second creature or object's space.

Nonlawful creatures may make a reflex save to avoid all effects of the beam. Failing that, they take 2d6 points of damage, per caster level (40d6 maximum). A successful fortitude save halves the damage. If a creature is reduced to zero or fewer hitpoints, it is reduced to a pile of ash. Its items are unaffected.

Chaotic creatures are lulled into a false sense of security by the amount of time the portal remains open, prior to the beam actually firing. This denies them their reflex save, though they are still granted a fortitude save to halve the damage.

Nonaligned objects hit by Mechanus Cannon have a ten-foot wide, cylindrical hole bored through them, to a depth of six inches per level (maximum ten feet). Anarchic items are bored through twice as deep.

Focus: A sapphire cog, with a hole through the center, worth 250gp.

Mechanus Barrage
Sor/Wiz 8
Range: 50 feet and Medium (100ft. + 10ft./lvl.) (see text)
Effect: Multiple portals (see text)
Saving Throw: Reflex none, then Fortitude partial (see text)

You signal the natives of Mechanus to fire a salvo from the legendary Mechanus Battery. This formation of heavy artillery opens several portals, through which powerful beams of energy are fired.

Upon casting this spell, multiple portals open at points you designate, each within fifty feet of you. You open one portal per six caster levels, to a maximum of five portals. A line of energy then fires from each portal toward a target, within medium range of each portal. The first two creatures or objects hit by each beam are subject to its effects. The line terminates in the second creature or object's space. Multiple beams may be fired at the same target, or each beam may be fired at a unique target, at the caster's choice. A creature targeted by multiple beams must make saves for each beam.

Nonlawful creatures may make a reflex save to avoid all effects of each beam. Failing that, they take 2d6 points of damage, per caster level (40d6 maximum). A successful fortitude save halves the damage. If a creature is reduced to zero or fewer hitpoints, it is reduced to a pile of ash. Its items are unaffected.

Nonaligned objects hit by a beam from Mechanus Barrage have a ten-foot wide, cylindrical hole bored through them, to a depth of six inches per level (maximum ten feet). Anarchic items are bored through twice as deep.

Focus: A sapphire cog for each portal to be opened, with a hole through the center, worth 250gp each.
Mempa's Biting Equipment

The following are five items, developed by the mage, Mempa. In her later years, she developed a rather unhealthy paranoia about thieves. This resulted in her creating items that she could use but could not be stolen from her person. The enchantments were so effective that after her death, the Dustmen were unable to remove her possessions, prior to her burial. As the catacombs, where her body was interned became full, and thus less trafficked, her tomb was raided on multiple occasions. It was approximately a century after her death before any group of thieves was able to separate Mempa's items from her bones, and that was an experienced team, with the support of a mage, who were specifically targeting Mempa's items for theft.

Since their theft, Mempa's items have gone through several sets of hands. They were initially split up and sold off individually. Historians have a difficult time tracking them after that, given the diverse, and often conflicting rumors of their location and ownership. Some of the more absurd tales even placed Mempa's Biting Ring in the possession of a homeless, starving man in The Hive.

Despite these difficulties, in recent years, Mempa's items have found their way into the hands of collectors and resellers. Credible sources even indicate that the entire set may finally be in the hands of a single owner again. If that is true, the owner has not provided any public confirmation. It would be a bit of poetic justice if the new owner were as concerned about thievery as Mempa herself had been.

(Mempa's Biting Ring originally appeared as a +2 Ring of Protection in Planescape Torment and served as the inspiration for this set.)

Mempa's Biting Ring
Cursed
+3 Deflection Bonus to AC
Faint abjuration; CL 7th; Forge Ring, Shield of Faith, Bestow Curse, 18,000 GP

The ring digs into the skin, once secured on one's finger, going so far as to draw a tiny amount of blood.

Mempa's Rooting Staff
Cursed
+1 Ghost Touch / Mwk Quarterstaff
Evard's Black Tentacles (2 charges)
Rainbow Pattern (2 charges)
Glitterdust
Tasha's Hideous Laughter
Light
Moderate Conjuration; CL 8th; Craft Staff, Evard's Black Tentacles, Rainbow Pattern, Glitterdust, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Light, Planeshift, Bestow Curse, 36,500 gp

An Evard's Black Tentacle springs from the bottom of the staff and constricts around the wielder's arm.

Mempa's Choking Cloak
Cursed
Provides a +1 resistance bonus to all saving throws.
Once per day, the wearer may become invisible and silent, per the Invisibility and Silence spells (with the radius of silence restricted to the wearer's space). Any action or movement by the wearer ends the effect. Otherwise, the effect ends after eight hours.
Faint abjuration; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, Resistance, Invisibility, Silence, Bestow Curse, 1,000 gp

The cloak secures itself tightly around the wearer's neck, leaving ligature marks.

Mempa's Clawing Scabbard
Cursed
Allows the removal of a cursed dagger from one's hand.
The dagger's curse is merely surpressed and becomes active again, when it is removed from the scabbard.
Faint abjuration; CL 5th; Craft Wonderous Item, Remove Curse, Bestow Curse, 45,000 GP

The scabbard has barbs around its edge that dig into the wearer's hip, drawing blood, like the ring.

Mempa's Stinging Dagger
Cursed +1 Returning Dagger
When thrown, the wielder may choose to have the dagger disappear while in-flight. The dagger reappears at the start of the wielder's next turn, striking against the target's flat-footed AC and immediately returning to the wielder's hand.
Moderate transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Telekinesis, Bestow Curse, 8,000 gp

Small hairs on the dagger's hilt weave themselves into the wielder's skin, releasing only when torn away by a violent throw.
:nervous:

If anyone asks, I was never here! Ignore the name on the post! It wasn't me!

Re: Shameless Abuse of Power

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:40 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
If it's going to be used again, I can always re-open the D&D forum you know? :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Return to “Tabletop RPGs”