Speaking of the SCP

Shivans, space crack and the SCP.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Speaking of the SCP

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:46 pm

Inquisitor
HLP has been down for a while.

So, I was thinking maybe just bite the bullet and set up some new forums to weather the storm.

We could put them here, or I could donate some MGT webspace. Zarax has also kindly offered some space at www.microsoftusernetwork.com

Then it will become a question of is the move permanent or not.

Decisions, decisions. Anyone have any alternatives or thoughts?

Discuss, I'd like to do something at least temp this weekend if possible.

Point anyone interested at this thread.
No signature

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:57 pm

NF
Arbiter
Not sure if it will be any help but I have about 35meg spare on my website with full PHP/MySQL support (can probably free up enoughto bring it to about 50meg if needed).. My database is pretty small though weighing in at tiny 5mb..
NF

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:00 pm

Inquisitor
Heh, no, probably not, will need a fair amount of space and database access.

MGT has a cleaner database development path, I considered putting SSX there, actually.
No signature

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:09 pm

NF
Arbiter
hehe thought so, well thought I'd offer.. :)
NF

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:39 pm

Inquisitor
MUCH appreciated too.
No signature

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:50 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I vote that you put them on the MGT server Ed, HLP has been down for too long. MGT would provide a more stable server than Gamespy.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:57 am

BlackDove
Put em here. If it's temp, it should be more than enough, ne?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:21 pm

c
BlackDove wrote:Put em here.
:)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:14 am

BlueFlames
For whatever reason, I'm still on the Gamespy planet site admin mailing list... I got one mailing a few days back that said GS's dynamic servers had been hacked, so they're busy recovering data and patching security holes. Basically, they're bringing those dynamic servers back online one at a time. It will be a while, but HLP will be back online at some point.

Not that I'm trying to change your plans or anything... GameSpiggin is quite possibly the filthiest ad-money-whore on the internet, so I'd be happy to see SCP move, but I felt it would be irresponsible of me to withhold information.
Shattered Star Exiles: A schism. A bond. A squad.
"I don't know what's more twisted: blowing up ambulances or setting it to Huey Lewis." --Inquisitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:04 am

Inquisitor
I have the same information.

Not sure you were supposed to divulge that outside of the GS admin list ;)
No signature

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:18 am

BlackDove
Yeah I'm about to missuse it in an awful manner. :nervous:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:28 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
For the record i'd like to say that i'm against them being put here. HLP and here are completely seperate, as much as we in the Freespace Group would love them to be here. We wouldn't be doing ourselves any favours by hosting them here. Think of those that after reading the Derek Smart threads were completely against HLP because some members had acted incredibly immaturely there. No matter what anyone says there are threads that go on at HLP that some people would frown on, i myself was considerably annoyed by the insults hurled in the Derek Smart threads, on both sides. Do we really want to bring the bad reputation that HLP has gained in some people's eyes to the SSX too? Do we really want people avoiding us ingame or spreading rumours about the SSX because of threads and comments that were posted when we hosted HLP?
I know that MGT would probably suffer the same problems if it was hosted there, but we're still a relatively new group, and i don't believe that a bad reputation is what this group needs. If we have to host HLP somewhere i think MGT would probably be a better place than here.
Don't get me wrong, i like visiting HLP and love the SCP, i just think that hosting their forums here would be a bad idea.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:14 pm

BlackDove
Err dude - what I gathered, it's just the SCP forum that'd be hosted here.

Meaning a lot of fun threads named "Stencil Shadowing" and "This build incorporates a 3d HUD blah blah blah" type of stuff.

General discussions, etc. wouldn't be our cup of tea, no.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:40 pm

Inquisitor
Probably gonna mve the SCP to MGT.

Pending me finding the other guys and making sure they are ok with that.
No signature

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:03 pm

c
Oh hell, not another forum to check. :nervous:

Grouping things in one place (don't bother where) is much more convenient.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:35 pm

Inquisitor
Nobody bothered to tell me that alot of HLP visits sectorgame

http://www.sectorgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1135

Gonna see if we can get somethign setup there in the interim while we wait for HLP to come back.
No signature

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:09 am

Anubis
Site Admin
I didn't know they visited SectorGame. I've just been waiting for the website to go back up lol. Guess i should learn about these things.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:16 pm

c
Yeah, the members flee to nodewars and sectorgame when HLP is down.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:17 pm

NightDreams
Can i just ask, how easy is it to update my fs2 to scp fs2? would i be able to get it all running fine by myself or would i need to spend te day talking to lightspeed in irc?

ND
Lies can be good, If they are put to good use.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:58 am

Kon
It's pretty east, though if your as technically challenged as I, you might spend 5 or 10 minutes talking to Lighty in IRC plaus maybe another 5 if you want effects not included in the main VP.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:18 am

Inquisitor
Setting up temp shop at Sectorgames
No signature

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:41 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
NightDreams wrote:Can i just ask, how easy is it to update my fs2 to scp fs2? would i be able to get it all running fine by myself or would i need to spend te day talking to lightspeed in irc?

ND
It's all on the site :)
http://www.deckersds.com/ssx/groups/fre ... ation.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:36 pm

c
It's all in the forum stickies as well.

Alternatively, catch me on IRC, especially if you want to use the latest content.

Return to “FreeSpace”