PC Zone Mentions FS2 Once Again

Shivans, space crack and the SCP.

Moderator: Global Moderators

PC Zone Mentions FS2 Once Again

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:15 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Since I took out a subscription to UK gaming mag PC Zone and thus began to get a copy of it every month I've noticed that FS2 is getting mentioned quite frequently. For the last three or four issues (monthly magazine) I've noticed articles dedicated to or simply mentioning FS2 in the odd sentence or two. Admittedly, these articles arent full page spreads, but they still get read. Also, the game scored fifth in the best Space Combat Games listing ever since the Space Combat category was introduced. For those of you who don't get the mag, I've typed up a couple of the references and the article from the latest issue for you to read below.

Issue 157 - Comments from the Space Combat Games Chart (comments also appear in multiple previous issues)
Following in the footsteps of Wing Commander and X-Wing, FreeSpace 2 offers fast paced dogfighting action all the way. It has an epic story and superb graphics, but does suffer from being a bit short-lived if you don't play online.
Issue 158 - 'Ten Abandoned Best' section. Placed After an Article Discussing Abandonware.
7. Freespace 2
Home of the Underdogs (www.the-underdogs.org)
For an infinite pit of nothingness, where no one can hear you scream and the food is nauseating, space makes a splendid location for this 3D operatic combat.
And finally, the quarter page article from the current issue, minus the screenshots displayed in the magazine.
Issue 159 (Current Issue) - Freeware Section (The Babylon Project Mod included on the PC Zone DVD)
The Babylon Project
Get the Hell into their galaxy

The Babylon Project: www.3dactionplanet.com/hlp/hosted/babylon
Freespace 2 Source Code Project: scp.indiegames.us

Talk about dreams given form. The Babylon Project has been in the making since 1999, taking the beloved Freespace 2 engine and happy-slapping a Babylon 5 paint job all over it. Finally, we have the chance to get our hands on the Starfury.
Since Sierra cruelly axed the original Babylon 5 game years ago, we've been waiting for something like this. Sure, you don't have the inertia-based ship movement seen in the show, and the game mechanics and interface are Freespace 2's rather than having been converted to suit the B5 dynamic (and the voice 'acting' is straight out of amdram), but everything else is spot-on.
The ships look great given the engine's age, the action is spot-on and the missions follow the TV plots. Best of all, you don't need the original to play - the FS2 engine having been made open source and freely available.
Perhaps it isn't much, but as BD said in IRC, it's good to get the coverage in any way possible. The fact that they linked to the SCP is great positive promotion. Here's hoping the game keeps being mentioned, and that we get a full page article soon :)
Last edited by Anubis on Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:26 pm

BlackDove
Thanks.

Return to “FreeSpace”