The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:24 am

Ozone
http://ethancartergame.com

Picked this up on this weekends PS4 flash sale for $8. Think I recall a thread on this way back, but posting as a revive cuz I'm impressed.
As a big horror fan I had heard about this in regards to it being a game that could have been written by Blackwood and Lovecraft.
So, at $8 I gave it a shot.

I'm only about an hour in. Very cool.
Received a letter from a kid who can somehow see things that aren't actually about.
As a private dick (heh) with some paranormal empathy I go to investigate.
No running, no gun, no jumping, just walking.
Scenery is beautiful. Music is top notch.
On way into town - railroad tracks, a legless body, rope, all connected. Figure it out in gruesome detail in a serene setting.
Game seems to guide you in the right direction, its sort of cool. Its subtle. Theres times where I wander and I feel the music has shifted, just mildly, maybe a bit more bass, the lighting changes ever so slightly, the trees creak a bit more, and it gives me a feeling that SOMETHING doesn't want me to go this way, and if I do...
Its beautifully designed, well written, well scored, and genuinely eerie - not Amnesia or Outlast get 'ready to jump' scary, just very uncomfortably eerie.
If you've got a PS4 (though its also available on steam) and you're looking for something to do, this is well worth it (as is Wastelanders 2 8D )
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:12 am

M.Steiner
I was planning to finally pick this up during the sales at Christmas (had it on my Steam wishlist since it came out heh) but decided to hold off for a bit longer. This is something I'd really like to try in VR so since they're supposedly working on that (and likely as a seperate release or DLC) and I have a Rift pre-ordered, I'm gonna wait & see what happens with that first but yeah, I've always liked the look of this :thumb:

Ethan does look a little more involving with puzzles & what not but you might wanna give Everybody's Gone to the Rapture a look as well at some point, assuming you haven't already played it. One of my fav games of last year :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Return to “General Discussions”