Manny learns to solder...

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Manny learns to solder...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:26 pm

esd
https://twitter.com/WokStation/status/6 ... 0300036096

Manny got given a project for Christmas by school - make a christmas tree. He was set the same assignment last year, where he built a tree with cutout card. He still has it, and when he was given the assignment again this year, decided rather than make a new tree, he'd add lights to the old one.

He's never soldered before, so I got him to lay the bits out on a block of wood (where we'd drawn an outline of one of the card sections), dram them in place, work out what resistors he needed (by giving him Ohm's law, the Vin and fv values) and then get soldering. Didn't get him to do the wires (his first time and dealing with melty plastic sleeves? Nah, keep it easy), but all of the led leg connections and resistors are his work.

Next step is putting the tree back together, around the circuit!
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

Re: Manny learns to solder...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:00 pm

NF
Arbiter
Great work Manny, I have some rewiring to do round my house if he wants to earn some pocket money ;)
NF

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:38 pm

esd
Today we put the tree back together, around the circuit:

https://twitter.com/WokStation/status/6 ... 5019109376

Glued it all to a base - his next plan is to put a present around the batteries (so you open the lid to change them), and another present to house the switch! And today's new tool? Hot glue gun!
NF wrote:Great work Manny, I have some rewiring to do round my house if he wants to earn some pocket money ;)
he says thanks - though I'm wondering when the last time a domestic electrician brought a soldering iron..? :lol: Its all block terminals these days - more likely to be the gas engineers with 'em!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:40 pm

M.Steiner
Very clever, I'm sure Manny's teacher will be very impressed with his work! :thumb:

Tweet embed mod please, Anny :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:11 pm

esd
I don't think they'll be expecting this, that's for sure! They're expecting card-and-wire trees, some cotton-wool snowmen, that kind of thing....

Bwuahahaha!

*ahem* Anyway, he finished it. The big pressy holds the 4xAA batteries and toggle switch!

https://twitter.com/WokStation/status/6 ... 9956071424

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:26 pm

SL33PY
now that I got you on twitter; you better follow me back :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :D :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:54 am

Ozone
:thumb:
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

Return to “General Discussions”