Random Question - Reefer?

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Random Question - Reefer?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:03 pm

Ozone
Well, that got your attention.

Just curious if anyone else here is a reefer, that is, a keeper of saltwater fish with live rock and corals to simulate a reef environment.
I've never asked in here so I don't know. On one forum I'm in we got into talking and two other members were reefers.

As you can tell, I am. Here's my current tank during build stage...

And here she be for the moment. Still a young tank (4 months) so corals are still immature, as are most of the fish....

http://vid1328.photobucket.com/albums/w ... glcvgt.mp4
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

Re: Random Question - Reefer?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:09 pm

Whizbang
Ozone, I am extremely jealous. I too enjoy my aquarium hobby however mine is freshwater instead of salt and since I live in an apartment I do not have a large one. Matter of fact, due to the extreme heatwaves we had last year I ended up taking mine down. I lost too many fish and didn't want to have to try and maintain the balance until we get our own place next year.

I noticed that you have what looks to be your sick tanks down below? Or is that a staging tank for when you're about to introduce new members into the main tank? And how big is your main tank? 50gal? How many pumps do you have running and do you use heaters/chillers for where you live? How many fish do you have/intend to have? You said that your tank is relatively young, so do you plan on introducing more plant life/anemone to help promote the coral or is it set and now it's about bio-balance?

Again, massive props on your tank Ozone! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:19 pm

Ozone
Cheers Mech, been working hard on it.

Its a 65 gallon Deep Blue shallow reef measuring 1' tall, 4' wide, 2' deep. I'm running a gyre 130 pump, a pair of Maxspect Mazarra lights, 2 stock 250w heaters, and a 3 fan chiller, and a few other miscellanious bits. Heater and chiller are on a temperature switch to turn on and off as needed. The hospital and quarrantine tank is in another room :) . I've got 2 clowns, 1 lawnmower blennie, 1 reef chromis, 1 chalk bass, 1 anthea, 1 solar wrasse, 1 cleaner shrimp, and numerous snails and crabs in attendance, along with a number of assorted corals.

The tanks down below are actually the 'hidden' part of SW systems and act as the filter. Theres a 20 gallon thank down there with 3 chambers. The first takes water from the tank and houses a 110gallon Reef Octopus protein skimmer, which removes unneeded waste. It also houses the heaters. The water flows to the second chamber that contains a few shrimp and a crab to catch big pieces of gunk, along with some plants to provide hiding places to 'pods' that live in the plants and get swept up into the main tank every once in a while for food. Theres also a few rocks in there to act as natural filters. The third chamber contains the return pump and a space for any media I might need, attached to this chamber is that round tube. The tube is a Ferric Oxide reactor and it removes phosphate from the water, preventing algae buildup. The smaller tank under there holds 10 gallons of water has an auto pump that tops off the main tank when water drops due to evaporation (I lose about 1 liter a day).

Recently bought an aquarium controller (computer with outlets and probes attached) to leave a good portion of the maintenance to a machine. Going to try to figure it out this week and see how it goes. Would be nice to recover a few hours a week of time for me to do other stupid crap.

When you're ready to take the plunge, would be happy to help ;)
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:22 pm

Cyma
Wow this look incredible :thumb:

Living in a apartment i cannot have one either... But I would like one day to get this as a project!

Anyway, this look really nice! Very awesome work mate!
Huh?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:30 am

SL33PY
I have no pets

I want no pets
My wife agrees

My kids won't get pets as long as they live under our roof

I don't dislike pets or people that have pets, I just don't want to take care of pets

Aquarium looks great :thumb:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:36 pm

Zephir
SL33PY wrote:I have no pets

I want no pets
My wife agrees

My kids won't get pets as long as they live under our roof

I don't dislike pets or people that have pets, I just don't want to take care of pets

Aquarium looks great :thumb:
We have too many pets
My wife disagrees :nervous:

We have 2 cats. I hate cats.
We have 2 dogs, I love dogs.
We have an african grey parrot, I'm ambivalent about the parrot.

If I had my way I would get rid of all the the above, except for my adorable 3 year old chocolate lab.

I used to have a marine aquarium with live rock, clown fish, gobies, damsel fish, cardinals, and a flame angel,

Your aquarium looks great

Zeph.
"You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese." - Spaced (1999)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:52 pm

esd
I just want to know how that glass is intact... my kids would never let something so nice live for very long :lol:
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

Return to “General Discussions”