Game Hoarding

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Game Hoarding

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:28 pm

Rock-n-Roll
Does anyone here ever actually throw any old games out? I'm cleaning my basement in the house I have lived in for the past ten years and came across my box o' games. More than half of them won't even run on modern systems (at least, not without a little help) but I just can't bring myself to part with them.

Oldest I found was a 1994 copy of Space Hulk. To put that in perspective, I was 19 years old in 1994 and had just gotten my first PC (prior computer was a family Apple IIGS). I'm going to turn 40 in May.

Anyone else have an archeological find lurking about their house?

Re: Game Hoarding

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:07 pm

BlackDove
mmm, got my X-Files here, the game the movie... that was 98-99 or something? Freespace obviously, 97-98. Some other shit as well. They're around, I never threw them out, but will never play them again.

They'll find their way to the dump eventually.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:08 pm

SSX-Andy
Never thrown any game away.

Moved to a new house in December, my first ever house that I own, so have a lot of boxes to unpack.

Still have stacks of old disks to go through, no diskdrive though, but might find some gems that are more exciting thatn Win 3.11.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:46 pm

M.Steiner
For PC it'll be these 4:
BlackDove wrote:mmm, got my X-Files here, the game the movie... that was 98-99 or something?
I have it too ^^. It was 1998 according to wiki, bloody loved that game xD

So 1998 - 2000 for those (I no longer have the huge cardboard boxes for them though). I'd already played MGS on PlayStation before ofc but even then I was upgrading to PC copies haha]
I'd played PC games before then (Doom in '93 and the original GTA in '97 for example) but they were always at a friends house. We didn't get a PC ourselves until later. Consoles however...

We had an Atari in the house with Pac-Man at one point and a really weird system which used a tape deck which I have no idea what it was called. After a google search it may have been a Commodore 64 though. I can clearly remember a game with falling rocks and another with elevators, which look to be Boulder Dash and Impossible Mission after another search heh. No idea how old I was when we had those but I must've been really young lol. They weren't "mine" though and we don't still own them heh.

My first console was the Sega Mega Drive (or Genesis as some of you will know it in the US) which I got for my 8th Birthday in April 1993 along with Sonic the Hedgehog <3. I can remember the date as my Grandparents got me Jungle Strike for Christmas the same year (which my Grandad played a bit of :D) and he died in early 94.
I did get rid of the Mega Drive at one point (to put towards a PS1) but I regretted it and quickly replaced it, though not all of the games. I doubt I'll ever play the console itself again but I do have some of those classics on Steam now, or play emulated versions outside of it from time to time. They bring back a lot of happy memories and it's amazing how much you remember from those games. I can't quite believe I complete Ecco as young as I was (none of my friends managed to), as revisiting that as an adult many years later I found it really <censored> hard :lol:

I did sell my GameCube just recently but I only bought that (dirt cheap and a long time after it was released) for REmake, which has just been remastered and released on PC last month. Wasn't very attached to that console or anything and it has just been sitting in a box since God knows how long so thought I'd get rid. I generally keep everything though, with the exception of console games I either buy and dislike and then trade-in or they release on PC and I trade-in and upgrade :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:53 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I only throw out stuff I really hate as a rule. So, for example, Final Fantasy 12 got binned after I first played it. It's maybe 1 in 100 that I get rid of.

The oldest stuff I have is probably my original floppy disk copy of Monkey Island 1/2 - which I think was released in the very early 90s? I have an absolute ton of PS1 and PS2 disks up in the loft too, which haven't been played in over 10 years.

It's history and memories for me :) Don't like to throw it out!
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:06 am

BlueFlames
The oldest I have on-hand is a 1995 CD-ROM version of Descent, which has been installed on every computer I've ever owned. I'm pretty sure I have the original floppy disk version at my parents' house. Actually, if I'm going to include what I left behind, when I moved out, I've got a 1988 Super Mario/Duck Hunt cartridge and the still-functioning NES deck that it came with. I was four, when my grandparents got me that as a Christmas gift.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:03 pm

Padishar
Anubis wrote:I only throw out stuff I really hate as a rule. So, for example, Final Fantasy 12 got binned after I first played it. It's maybe 1 in 100 that I get rid of.

The oldest stuff I have is probably my original floppy disk copy of Monkey Island 1/2 - which I think was released in the very early 90s? I have an absolute ton of PS1 and PS2 disks up in the loft too, which haven't been played in over 10 years.

It's history and memories for me :) Don't like to throw it out!
I am same way, rarely do I throw anything gaming out.
Still have 4 cases of floppies, some of the games ranging from the late 70's through the 80's and early 90's (pre-CD), a couple dozen I have repurchased on GOG.com.
CD/DVD taking up the bulk of space, with multiple book shelf's & an 8 shelf CD tower full of games, not to mention streaming sites like Steam is now up to 368 Owned / 679 DLC's.

That is just for computer, still have a Sega Genesis, SuperNintendo, PS1, PS2 & PS3.
Wasn't allowed to have the original Nintendo, Parents would always tell me to play in on my computer...

Unfortunately, my Atari 2600 didn't make it one of the times we moved as a kid and all of my games/controllers were forcibly given to a cousin :(

Return to “General Discussions”