Torchlight on GoG

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Torchlight on GoG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:43 pm

Stracius
Free. If you haven't played it yet, this is an awesome chance. I believe it's a time-limited offer (48 hours or so), so pick it up already. You have no excuses to not play this.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/torchlight

Re: Torchlight on GoG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:56 pm

M.Steiner
Cheers, Strac. Grabbed it.
Played and enjoyed the second one but not the first :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Isileth
Excellent thanks for the link :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:39 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Oooo, nice deal. Thanks for the link :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:54 pm

Whizbang
Don't forget that it is also the Summer Sale for GoG. http://www.gog.com/?utm_source=newslett ... mmer_promo
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:17 pm

M.Steiner
Bought Fahrenheit for £1.97 ^^
The Steam Summer Sale should not be far away either so I'm going to wait for that I think :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:33 pm

Kon
Thanks for the heads up. I grabbed this just in time last night. I went back and saw today's deals as well. Bought Planescape: Torment for $5 and Tales of Monkey Island for 85% off at $5.24. This is my first time using GOG, but I've never seen an 85% off Steam sale, and I've been wanting Tales for a long time. Figured I was overdue for giving Torment a go as well, especially since I just finished Alpha Protocol and I'm longing for another Avellone vision.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:39 pm

Stracius
Kahn wrote:Figured I was overdue for giving Torment a go as well
Understatement of the year. Speaking of which, did Anny ever finish his play-through?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:51 am

SL33PY
meh, wanted to pick it up, was too late when I thought of it... Did finish Witcher 2 this weekend

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:31 pm

M.Steiner
all ready for TW3 then? :D

The Steam Summer Sale *could* be starting this Thursday btw.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:40 pm

SL33PY
good that means that one of the older threads will be alive and kicking again, and yes, TW2 has peaked my interest and I'm eager to play TW3 now

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
SL33PY wrote:good that means that one of the older threads will be alive and kicking again, and yes, TW2 has peaked my interest and I'm eager to play TW3 now
Where's the "Like" button? :D
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:18 pm

M.Steiner
Good to hear!
I remember the days of us trying to convince Anny into reattempting the Witcher series. Tried to play it twice? three times? before but dropped it each time just a few hours into the first game. We got there in the end though! ;D

TW3 sounds to be an even bigger jump from TW2 than what TW1 -> TW2 was. Exciting stuff.
<3 CDPR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:27 pm

SL33PY
well i hated part 1, i have it and dropped it after 40 minutes... loved part two and not only for the titties...

Also, someone should learn them polish people that there is other liquor besides vodka

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:51 pm

M.Steiner
You should really consider going back to the first game in that case then.
TW1 is a very slow starter. I believe the reason Anny kept dropping it so early in was because of that, probably because it looked boring and didn't seem to be going anywhere. Even I stopped playing it during the outskirts originally.
The story is anything but though once it gets going and is actually pretty epic. Just gotta hang in there but it definitely delivers.

I'm sure he'll agree with me here now he's played both, or at least I hope he does? lol, but The Witcher 1 deserves another chance dude. There's an amazing RPG you're missing out on there and the first 40 minutes is not a good section of the game to judge it on and decide you hate it. It gets so much better. Trust me on that :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:46 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:You should really consider going back to the first game in that case then.
TW1 is a very slow starter. I believe the reason Anny kept dropping it so early in was because of that, probably because it looked boring and didn't seem to be going anywhere. Even I stopped playing it during the outskirts originally.
The story is anything but though once it gets going and is actually pretty epic. Just gotta hang in there but it definitely delivers.

I'm sure he'll agree with me here now he's played both, or at least I hope he does? lol, but The Witcher 1 deserves another chance dude. There's an amazing RPG you're missing out on there and the first 40 minutes is not a good section of the game to judge it on and decide you hate it. It gets so much better. Trust me on that :)
Yeah, MS is right there. I thought the first few hours of TW1 were very poor tbh - they completely fail to grab your interest and get you into the game. But if you stick with it, it does become very enjoyable as it progresses.

Even if you don't go back to it though, really glad you enjoyed the second :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Kon
I've got to be honest. The Witcher 1 was one of the worst, most tedious games I've ever played. In two words, Utter Shit.

Steam says I made it 38 hours in, up to the middle of Chapter III (just over halfway through) before I couldn't take any more. The MMO combat was horrific, and there were too many pointless mechanics. Meditation, stances, the potion minigame, the fact that I needed a human sword and a monster sword. The problem with the swords was only made worse by the fact that keeping up with the latest swords made your third weapon a useless accessory (which usually clipped through Geralt as he ran).

Oh, and the fact that the monster slaying quests didn't count even after killing the monster, because I didn't want to buy the stupid little blurb about it that usually cost more money than the quest reward. Why was that mechanic in the game? Utterly pointless, stupid, and needlessly punishing those who want to play to completion.

The constant backtracking for Fedex quests was enough to drive me mad as well. Two years later, I can still picture the textures of the trees in the <censored> swamp with perfect clarity. I must have spent at least 12 of those 38 hours running back and forth through there. Just thinking about it makes me nauseous. And with the number of always-respawning enemies, eventually I got so sick of fighting them that I just settled for an impromptu monster parade every time I was trying to run a quest.

The only thing that kept me in that long was the promise of another brief NPC interaction that would move the storyline forward. Even then, I began to tire of the plot. There were a handful of interesting moments, but there's only one bit of the story that I still remember today. I just didn't think it was as great as some people were saying. Especially when I read the wiki and took a look at "the twist" near the end, I sighed in relief.

Finally, I was just flabbergasted by the fact that almost everyone in the gaming press went on and on about how "mature" the game was. It was just the opposite. Yes, there was sex in the game. A lot of it. And it was handled with all the nuance of a 13 year old trying to finger little Suzy in the back row of the theatre during Titanic. The extreme overuse of foul language and bro humor was pretty bad too. It just occurred to me that everything about The Witcher, from the plot to the meager characterization, is what the last Feminist Frequency called an "adolescent power fantasy."

Two years later, the first game left such a bad taste in my mouth that I have never even installed my copy of The Witcher 2. Please let me know how you like the second game, because if it really is as improved as some say, then perhaps it's worth a go.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:09 pm

SL33PY
There is still plenty of tits and adolescent cursing as well as vodka... I think the developers have no knowledge of other liquor.

The story was very entertaining, the monster quests were there but optional. You still have two swords, but the game plays more than oblivion and skyrim than as wow, which is a really good thing imo.

I really liked the story itself, it fits, my only gripe is that the main story line (especially in the last part of the game) is presented as SO critical you really need to do it NAO!! and it shouldn't be done now

Second gripe is that I can't finish up the rest of the quests after the main story line, the only thing that's waiting for you is the credits and a teaser for TW3...
The crafting system needs improvement as well.
Thirdly and very frustratingly, it crashed regularly on load, which it does when you die, and i tend to do that every now and again. I think my amount of saves in the end was what killed the client, and that's a shame. Someone should have spent 4 hours on the problem to rectify it.

All in all it was a welcome distraction that got me for 50'ish hours, but I would have loved to finish the rest of it.

Return to “General Discussions”