2012 Releases

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

2012 Releases

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:21 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
VG247 put together a couple of articles in this past week looking at the release schedule for 2012 thus far:

Part 1
Part 2

I read through them earlier today quite excitedly, since I recall this time last year the release calendar looked pretty great to me - and at the end of it I am able to look back and say that it was a pretty great year for games. I have to admit though, looking forward at the supposedly "killer" 2012 lineup I'm...disinterested.

Sure, there are a couple of games in there that I'm planning to play - Mass Effect 3, Assassins Creed 3 and Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm to name them. There are also a few more that I have an eye on, but don't really want to commit to at this point (mainly because I don't trust where they're going) - Diablo 3 and Max Payne 3. But in all honesty....there isn't anything there that I look at and say "that'll be amazing".

Looking at those lists, 2012 looks to me like it will be a very quiet year for new releases, and it'll more than likely end up being a year of replays for me. I'd expect that the KOTORs, Final Fantasy 7/8, The Last Remnant, Persona 3, and Max Payne 1/2 will come out of the closet for yet another run through. I actually spent less time replaying games in 2011 than I think I have for a good 5/6 years, and I find it disappointing that first impressions seem to suggest that'll be slipping away again.

What do others think of the lists? Does anyone agree that this may be a bad year, or are my tastes just not meshing too well with the schedule?
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Re: 2012 Releases

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:03 am

M.Steiner
Last year we had The Witcher 2, Deus Ex & Portal 2. Those 3 alone were fantastic, all in the same year and within a short space of time of each other too. Hard to top but 2012 will depend on which titles actually make it to say how good it'll actually be.

Dishonored
Bioshock Infinite (edit: delayed 2013)
Metro: Last Light (edit: delayed 2013)
Grand Theft Auto V
Hitman Absolution
Assassins Creed 3
Rocksmith (EU release)
Far Cry 3
Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (edit: delayed 2013)
Telltale's The Walking Dead
Borderlands 2
Mass Effect 3
Planetside 2
Guild Wars 2
Max Payne 3
Resident Evil 6

No plan to buy either the SC2 game or Diablo 3.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:52 am

Whizbang
Silent Hill HD Collection
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
The Secret World
Armored Core 5
Silent Hill: Book ofMemories

If those games are released for PC I'll be interested.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:06 am

M.Steiner
Mechanus wrote:Silent Hill HD Collection
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
These two would be on my list as well but they're only releasing on consoles afaik :(
May consider getting Silent Hill Downpour for the 360 at some point.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:56 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Looking at MS' list, those games are definately a 'clash of tastes' as it were. The vast majority of those listed just don't suit my tastes (Bioshock, Hitman, etc), and those that ARE are from franchises I've gone off - notably GTA.

Maybe it is just that this year won't be a particularly RPG aligned year, unlike 2011 - unless there are some releases coming that we don't know about yet of course that have flown under my radar!
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:49 am

Stracius
Kinda sad. Stuff on my radar so far are all franchises. That being said:

Mech Warrior Online

Max Payne 3
Darksiders II
Metro: Last Light
BioShock: Infinite
Hitman: Absolution

meh
----
ME3
Risen 2: Dark Waters
Prey 2
Borderlands 2
Assassin’s Creed III
Neverwinter
StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm (depending on how much they decide to continue milking the franchise for)

Actually, The Last Guardian looks interesting. I own no console above a PS2, however, so I've just been ignoring most everything else.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:35 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Stracius wrote:Actually, The Last Guardian looks interesting. I own no console above a PS2, however, so I've just been ignoring most everything else.
This is a very good point. I'd more than likely also purchase The Last Guardian if it was coming to PC. As is though, it's unlikely I'll get to play it :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:25 am

M.Steiner
Aye me too. Same with the Uncharted series :(
Will probably buy one in the future when I'm not paying a fortune just to play a handful of the exclusives I'm interested in, wouldn't play anything else on it when my PC is capable of more. Blu-ray player is useless to me too as I've had a standalone one for a few years now.

Ah, Darksiders II. Can add that to my list too :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:59 am

SL33PY
ME3
Diablo 3
AC 3 (reservations on this one, AC:rev wasn't up to par)
GTA V
hitman

bordomlands don't interest me, it's a grind game :'(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:11 pm

winbrian
ME3
Diablo 3
Maybe Borderland 2
StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:50 pm

M.Steiner
Since I haven't seen anyone else mention this game but me;

http://www.destructoid.com/preview-dish ... 8102.phtml
:)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:51 pm

SL33PY
M.Steiner wrote:Since I haven't seen anyone else mention this game but me;

that one might be a surprise on the good side of things if done right... won't instantaneously say yes because I didn't like 'messiah of m&m'

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:01 am

Anubis
Site Admin
SL33PY wrote:
M.Steiner wrote:Since I haven't seen anyone else mention this game but me;

that one might be a surprise on the good side of things if done right... won't instantaneously say yes because I didn't like 'messiah of m&m'
This reminds me that I need to check out one of the newer Might and Magic games at some point. I think a new one was released fairly recently too...

Was not a fan of Dark Messiah (and so this title is probably not for me, since there are similarities between the two it seems), but many years ago (before I joined the SSC in fact) Heroes of Might and Magic used to be a favourite of mine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:37 am

M.Steiner
I've not played either of those truth be told so I'm not going by any past games of theirs or anything. Really just thought the ideas behind it sounded interesting and figured it was worth keeping an eye on :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:21 pm

Stracius
I played HoMM 2 years ago and enjoyed it. Dark Messiah (liked it) - I can't figure how that game was related in any way to the series except by name; FPS vs. turn-based strategy. Perhaps there was a storyline tie-in somewhere.

Regardless, I've recently played HoMM 5 and have to say it seems to stay true to the formula. Seems to, as I skipped everything that came between 2 and 5. The latest is 6, but I haven't bothered checking it out yet.

That being said, thanks for the heads up on Dishonored. I'll have to keep my eye on it.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:35 am

M.Steiner
Nearly 2 years later and Alan Wake is finally out for PC and it's like experiencing the game all over again for the first time. Loving it.
The PC version looks stunning with lots of advanced graphics options, FOV, uncompressed audio and you can even play it without the HUD to make it that much more immersive (highly recommended as this was not possible on the 360). Sooo atmospheric as I was just saying earlier on IRC.

It's not exactly a new 2012 title but for anyone who doesn't own a 360 or just didn't play it originally it might as well be and for those who already own it on 360 like me it's definitely worth double dipping for the PC version too, far superior from the bits I've seen so far!. :)
Stephen King, Twin Peaks, Lost & Hitchcock are just a few of the influences behind the game, I for one happen to a big fan of every single one of these so if that piques your interest too then consider giving this a try ;D

Few screenies I've taken:
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Go buy! :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:38 pm

Cyma
Personally I'm waiting for one game and its Diablo 3.

Not that I don't enjoy gaming as I use too, but after recent event in my life I decided that slowing down gaming is a good thing hehe. So any game I will play I will take this very relax now =) So atm, swtor will be a game I will play for a long time. Eventually Diablo 3 will be added =)
Huh?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:40 am

SSX-Andy
Crusade Kings 2 has just been released.

Will have to find time to try it out. Worth it for those who enjoy Paradox other games (EU, HoI), or who just like complex strategy games.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:32 pm

Isileth
Aye very excited about CK2, love all Paradox games.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:51 pm

M.Steiner
Now please!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:52 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
The graphics for Borderlands 2 look great, but the thing that turned me off the first game was the complete lack of story.

Really hope they fix that for the sequel - if they do, I'll play it. Not really interested if they don't though :blank:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:25 am

Stracius
Come now, there was a story. You were a treasure hunter and you had to solve the mystery of the greatest treasure on the planet - Indiana Jones style. With more guns. And no Short Round or Willie Scott. But with midgets. Lots and lots of midgets.

Was it a deep and complex story that is found in RPGs like DA, The Witcher, and Skyrim? No. Was it a fun story where you blew shit up and got phat lewt Diablo style? Yes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:31 pm

M.Steiner
Stracius wrote:Was it a deep and complex story that is found in RPGs like DA, The Witcher, and Skyrim? No. Was it a fun story where you blew shit up and got phat lewt Diablo style? Yes.
^ This.
Besides, first and foremost Borderlands is about the gameplay, the loot/guns and the co-op experience. Primarily being a FPS title but with RPG elements rather than a RPG-FPS. I'm surprised you're interested in it at all tbh Anny, knowing how much you love the FPS genre lol :p

Great to see it releasing this year :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:52 am

Rock-n-Roll
Mechwarrior Online

That's it.

Could this be the year I tey to find an adapter for my old Sidewinder? We shall see..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:58 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Rock-n-Roll wrote:Mechwarrior Online

That's it.

Could this be the year I tey to find an adapter for my old Sidewinder? We shall see..
When's that due out? I remember a few people had eyes on it when it was last mentioned :)

Return to “General Discussions”