Its been far to long.

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Its been far to long.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:20 pm

SSX-Wedge
Hello my old friends.
It really has been far to long. My work has consumed me. Between work, family and my cars, I dont have time to do the things I use to enjoy doing.
I do believe ive lost my bug for gaming. I think about all my old friends from time to time. Many, I played against when they were just kids. Now they too have grown up, some have kids of their own. My mind wanders back to the time when i first started playing games online. Oh, that was a scary flash back... I actually when back to far. Far enough to remember picking up a rotary phone dialing a number then placing the receiver in to the modem. Then sitting and waiting for the teletype to spew out its noisy text. A little farther forward to playing Oregon Trail on a Apple IIe (Ive still got it LOL) Skipping forward to about 1998. While at work, bored.... I decided to clean the crap out of a loader i was running. I came across a gaming magazine. I thumbed through it till one thing caught my eye. The graphics, oh my.... I waited for its release, I had to have it. Yes, back in 1998.... I entered the world of FreeSpace. I took my nightly free time and played a game that really was quite fun to play. I was climbing the ranks on the stats and caught the attention of a couple of clans. I thought about becoming a member of a couple of them. But in the end they werent for me. Not until I met a group of people one night on a server. We played together, we had fun. At the end of the night one of the members of this group sent me a link to a website. I told him I would check it out tomorrow. When i got home from work that night, i went to the link he provided. This group was one that i felt i could be part of. Many of you here in SSX were members of it as well. Ive know a lot of you for a long time. I played several different games with many of you over the years. I played, I climbed the ranks, I became a true members.... The group flowed through my veins. It was a part of me. I watched as members left and started their own groups. Some failed.... yet we remained strong. Bound by our ideals. We were known to a large gaming community. Then there was a day that many of my friends left that group and started this group. The SSX. I really didnt know what to do. I still considered many of you my good friends. I stayed with my original group that took me in all those years ago. But.... they too would stumble and fall. This time, they didnt get back up. It was decided that the group had run its course. It was time to go in a different direction. For me... as a gamer and a member, It was a day that I will always remember. Lost..... a gamer without a place to call home. I ended up here. The SSX welcomed me with their arms open. I appreciated that. I didnt really play like i use to. I joined when I was still playing Eve. I really havent had the time to go in and play. Im sorry guys. My life changed, Ive got my wife and my kids. Work for me is anywhere from traveling over a couple of states and more than likely long days. I have kept a player active in Eve for Oz to use. It was the least I could do. Going in and playing that game right now would be just like starting over again. Every time i pop in, its changed so much. I know OZ is doing what he likes with the character and im cool with it. I dont need to go in there and throw off his routine. If you know what I mean. Last spring, I did try Star Trek Online. It was ok.... but it was the same thing over and over. I think the problem was... I didnt have any of my friends playing by my side.

Being that work is slow right now and I dont want to travel around the country working.... Im going to take a couple months off. I miss my winters off. Finally, some time to work on my car. Ive only had it apart for over a year. I finally finished the motor last week. Its my relaxation right now. Im sure I wont be driving it this year, the snow is close. So ill work on it here and there. Ill make sure its ready to run when spring is finally here. BTW.....its a really fun car to drive. NONE SHALL PASS!

Im gonna try and come in to the forums from time to time. After all.... I do miss you guys.
I really havent found any games that peak my fancy for some time.

Your old friend,
Wedge

If ya guys like.... Ill post up some picks of what ive been up to.

Re: Its been far to long.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:48 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Heya Wedge, great to hear from you :) We don't see you nearly enough, but real life can be a cruel mistress as you say.
SSX-Wedge wrote:I think the problem was... I didnt have any of my friends playing by my side.

I really havent found any games that peak my fancy for some time.
Reading your post, this sticks out most to me, because it's how I and I am sure a lot of others feel too. I'm deep within the realm of SP gaming nowadays, but keep both eyes on the MMO genre too for one we can all play togeher like the days of NC2 and WoW. But a lot of the time, when I try MMOs, they don't hold my attention anymore. A fault of the genre? Possibly, yes, but also mainly down to the fact that friends aren't playing with me.

After I left WoW-EU, I went back several times and quit pretty speedily each time. Took me a few tries to realise that the reason I couldn't recreate my feelings for the game was because my feelings had never been for the game - they had been for the experience of chatting and having fun with friends whilst playing a game. Without the group, the game was nothing.

I am still hopeful that enough of us will play TOR though (when it releases) that we'll be able to get a group going and as such finally manage to recreate that elusive feeling. We shall see - fingers crossed.

Anyway, feel free to post some pics. Would love to see them :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:26 pm

M.Steiner
Hey Wedge :)
Anubis wrote:A fault of the genre? Possibly, yes, but also mainly down to the fact that friends aren't playing with me.
Can see where both of you are coming from, definitely the latter I'd say. I mostly play SP games nowadays too (and FPS multiplayers on the side) but no single player game (or MMO whilst playing solo) can ever come close to playing a decent MMO with a group of friends. Sure I've played some fantastic SP games this year like The Witcher, Mafia 2 and New Vegas but I really long to play an MMO again with you guys instead of playing solo.

I've tried going back to Neocron a few times since I left all those years ago, a few of those times a couple of other people have jumped back into the game too and we've had a bit of fun for a week or two. But when it came down to it it just wasn't the same. It didn't help that the game had changed so much since I left as all my characters were kitted out in the best equipment available back then, some which weren't so easily obtainable as they were when I returned or that I'd spend hours constructing batches of with Rah but were now new stuff available. I won't deny that I felt like a complete noob returning and not being able to pick up where I left off but my fond memories of the game were not just the game itself but of the people I was playing with too. It was the game I met you guys in and I had the most fun in that game (and with WoW whilst it lasted) than any other games I've played before or after. Whilst it was great to return and have a chance to play the game with people like you Anny, BD, Eeks etc and speak to people like Tyler again it just wasn't the same experience however much I wanted it to be. I was no longer able to be one who enjoyed helping others like I used to but now needed help myself, the game felt "been here, done that" without the group I used to love playing with. And It could never be the same without everyone else like Rah, QD, Scorp, Reaps, Biggie, Futile, Sl33py, SS, Riccko, Comstat, Gryph, Blue Star, Cyma or any others because those people made that experience what it was, plus our friends in R2K & Rangers who we played with all the time. And so I've never bothered trying to go back to NC since then and haven't gone back to WoW either, been tempted but never have.

I'd like to hope that one day we'll have a thriving gaming group again like I remember NC1/2 & WoW being. I can't stand Star Wars but I honestly can't wait until TOR is released and we can really try and get something good going again. If there's enough of us and we're determined there's no reason it can't be a success and we can learn from our mistakes. Get back to actually playing games together and introduce lots of new people to this wonderful place at the same time. Sure would be nice play with some old faces again as well as some new.
How much longer for TOR anyway? 6 months mebbe?
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:00 pm

Chimera
Huzzah Wedge! Ain't you seen in quite a while. I've moved to Wisconsin so now I know of this "snow" that you often mentioned :)
Pain is weakness leaving your body.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:05 am

Anubis
Site Admin
SSX-MS wrote:How much longer for TOR anyway? 6 months mebbe?
Six months to a year. I would be beyond surprised if it ran beyond 2011.

I agree with everything you said btw - basically the sentiment I was trying to express myself :) It's the people that make the 'multiplayer' game, not the game itself. Ironically, this reminds me of my own view towards SP games - I can and will put up with massively flawed mechanics provided there is a good story there that I want to experience. I know that you don't agree with me on that generally, but I think this is the multiplayer equivilent of that that perhaps we CAN agree on. We can and will put up with unimaginative or less than fantastic games provided there are good people there we want to play with.

Perhaps the people are to a multiplayer game what story is to a SP game, at least to me. Something fundamental to the experience, and without which the experience loses all luster and attraction.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:37 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:I can and will put up with massively flawed mechanics provided there is a good story there that I want to experience. I know that you don't agree with me on that generally, but I think this is the multiplayer equivilent of that that perhaps we CAN agree on. We can and will put up with unimaginative or less than fantastic games provided there are good people there we want to play with.
Yeah :)
Don't get me wrong, to a degree I do agree with you on the single player part of it too, it just depends on the game really and whether or not the issues with the gameplay side of it are big enough to start spoiling my enjoyment of the story side of it as well. I can happily play a FPS multiplayer on my own too as I just jump in and out of matches, play it casually and it's not something I'd want to play as often as I would an MMO if we had a group, as I'd soon get bored of it.

NC and WoW would have been completely different experiences had I not being playing with this group. Playing with a group of friends always opens up so much more of the game too which you just can't experience on your own, and ofc makes everything more enjoyable which goes without saying. Not necessarily talking about 40 man raids like we used to do either (which some would join a clan just to be able to experience) but just little things; PPUing for Futile and Biggie in the early hours of the morning (for me) in the caves near TG, group hunting/questing, the role-playing events we did with R2K & Rangers a couple of times (hehe :D), Clan OP fights every other night, droning in the graves with clannies. Hell, towards the end of my time in NC I only used to login to chat to peeps and see if anyone needed anything.
Doubt I'll ever play another MMO unless it's with this group as they'll always be missing something. Not interested in joining another group or playing on my own, but I'd be happy to help start a new SSX group when the time comes so long as there are plenty others to help and form a solid foundation to start from.
I doubt I'll get as much enjoyment out of TOR storywise than I did with NC's faction epics, or the Warcraft lore for instance as I have no interest for Star Wars but if I can still get some fun out of the gameplay I would subscribe to it, so long as we were starting a group there. Wouldn't be fussed otherwise. :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:22 pm

Ozone
Hi Wedge. :)
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:40 pm

Rock-n-Roll
Its kinds of funny how so many of us were kids when we joined SSC and how we're all old men now. :lol:

Hi Wedge!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:05 am

Stracius
Hiiiiiiiiii Weeeeeeeeeeeeedge, weeeeeeee miiiiiiiiiiisssssssssss youuuuuuuuuuuuu
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:39 pm

Inquisitor
12ish years is a long time. Some of you lot have been around longer.

Time was some of our members were 12 :)

Even those guys are "adults" now :)
No signature

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:51 am

Thunderbird
And to think I was a freshmen in high school when I first joined the original group way back when. How times have changed.

You need to post more often Wedge ;).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:59 pm

Reaps
when I first joined SSC, it must have been, 2002/03 I think, poss a bit later... now i'm in a job and I spend my free time console gaming - I'd definitely go back to an MMO, but like MS said, we lucked into a really good group of people, and it made the game (which was buggy and deeply flawed) a hell of a lot more enjoyable. I wouldn't mind finding a new one, but if it's not sci fi, I can't imagine getting into it that much. Eve looks cool though. Funny how I still feel like a newbie compared to the old hands of freespace. Didn't realize that SSC fell apart though. anyway - hi Wedge!
Still here

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:53 am

enlightened
Hey fellow member, i'd just like to wish you good luck in your cross-state travels and other activities that keep you busy :thumb:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:58 am

enlightened
Anubis wrote:I am still hopeful that enough of us will play TOR though (when it releases) that we'll be able to get a group going and as such finally manage to recreate that elusive feeling. We shall see - fingers crossed.
Yeah that would certainly be loads of fun :cool:

Oh and hi Inquisitor, MS and Ozone!

Return to “General Discussions”