Partitions...... and my OS

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Partitions...... and my OS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:35 am

SSX-Wedge
Im puzzled.
I took about a week to play lets shuffle the hard drives. I removed old drive from other systems and archived ..... shall I say LOTS? I sawa deal for $69 at sams club last week and picked up a 250GB Western Digital. My drives had so much crap on them I was running out of places to store anything. I picked up Norton Save and Restore. I backed up all the drives and removed the "small" drives. I have one problem. My C drive which holds my system...... Well, that partition is and has been hovering about 800M-1GB of free space. I want to make the system partition 40GB. Its 10 GB right now. I thought maybe i could make a logical drive on that same hard drive. I was under the impression that a logical drive is like an extension for the MBR. I might be mistaken.
I might just make a fresh back up on an empty drive and install it as the master ( just to have something to boot to). Take the present master and wipe the C and logical drive. Make my 40GB partition and Move my back up system over to the 40. See? I just need some input :)

Oh another thing. Formating with NTFS... But once the files are xfered back and the drive is accessed.... it reverts back to Fat32 Bah! I tak eit there is nothing one can do about it.

If anyone has input....... :D

SSX-Wedge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:34 pm

Inquisitor
You'll have to convert the drive to NTFS after you get it all transferred. The save and restore image will be whatever it was originally, so it will keep being FAT32.

And do the C drive as the 40, a logical drive is just like another physical drive as far as that is concerned, that won't help you with your disk space issues.
No signature

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:06 am

Indigo64
Commit this to memory:

convert x: /fs:ntfs

Where X is your drive letter.

Piece 'o cake. :)

I have two of those WD 250's (SATA, 16 MB cache) and they are tanks.

Personally when I get into your situation Wedge, I just backup everything I can, wipe the system drive and start over. I'd rather not put up with the hassle of having data sizes messed with and such. Maybe that's just because of my job, but I dunno... how did you manage?

ntfs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:32 am

Riccko
convert x: /fs:ntfs
don't forget you need to know the c drive volume number

it will ask for it before it converts
I am of the opinion that my life belongs to this community, and as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can.

Return to “General Discussions”